Sunday 12 January 2014

Sunny Sundays and Sleepless Nights


Sunny morning in East London: Time for reflection 


As I sit down to write this post, it is a sunny Sunday morning, and I have had 30 minutes of sleep. Not much I know, this is my first post on here, and I have all these thoughts rushing around my head.

Let me start by explaining why I decided to home educate my son. My son is four years old, I had a bad experience sending him to nursery when he was three years old, so I took him out. He started reception class in September 2013. Everything was going well when he started telling me that he did not want to go to school. I questioned him, he just said he wanted to stay with me. Then the teacher told me she thought he had a problem with his hearing and that he does not listen well. I took him for a hearing test, they did not detect anything.
My son started telling me the kids would tell him, you can't read, or you can't spell. The would also taunt him because he is small, he would come home with ripped ties and broken toys. I then discovered that there were a few children that were taunting him and pushing him around. He is very sensitive. 

I decided over the Christmas period that he would not go back. Although he did for a few days then the teacher decided it was best he leave. I started home educating on New Year's Day and I have not looked back. My son is flourishing, I have taken him on two trips so far. I plan on taking him on holiday for a couple of weeks in March. We are having a ball, although it can be tough never really getting a break but hey, at least I don't have to do the dreaded robotic school run anymore. My son suffered terrible anxiety every day rushing to get to school on time. I think this is the best option for us. Homeschooling might not be good for everybody but I think that it is great for us. He has started to sit down unprompted and do his numbers. He tries to read words on his own without mr even saying a word. 

This blog is going to be about my daily musings as a home educating mum in London. You will see pictures of our homeschool days out, you will also read rants and raves, as well as product reviews and homeschooling ideas. I am also working on some worksheets that people can download for free. By the way, I am actually a children's author and health journalist. I have one book out at the moment and I am working on an alphabet book which will be downloadable, and will be available in the next few weeks. My son and I have also penned a book together which will also be downloadable and available to download in the next few weeks. Watch this Space ! 

Peace and blessings and come back soon 
Ps if you are reading this blog today you might notice that it is pretty plain, I am working on it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment