Wednesday 11 June 2014

My Decision to Flexi-School

Hi Friends!!!

If you have been reading my blog since inception, you will know that at one point I was interested in flexi-schooling. For those of you who do not know what flexi-schooling is, it is basically part time schooling, and part time home education. I looked deeply into flexi-schooling because I thought it would be the perfect solution for my son. However, I could not find one school that was willing to even think about it.


I decided to go head first into full time homeschooling. However, I found it really overwhelming, there were times when I found it amazing. There were also times when I found it too hard to cope with. My son really enjoys being home educated but he has recently expressed an interest in going to school part (but not every day he said) So, I have decided to give it a try, I really don't think full time schooling is right for him at this point. We have too many other things to be getting on with, such as travelling, going on field trips, baking and having lazy days. We hated the full time school run, it really did not suit our lifestyle. However, I think this would be perfect for my little man. So, in September we are going to give it a try.

The school is an amazing Montessori inspired independent school, they support home education and believe that every child is different. They do not force their beliefs on anyone, and allow the parents to choose how many days they wish to go into school. We have chosen 2 days a week, and we think it is perfect. He will be there Monday and Tuesday, and the rest of the week he will be with me. We have already planned some really cool trips away, and some other amazing things. We have decided that for the last few months of full time home schooling we are going to pretty much let him do what he wants to do. We will do some simple reading and numbers in the morning. Then for the rest of the day he can choose what he wants to do.

This summer is going to be amazing, and we can't wait.  Look forward to some really cool posts in the next few weeks and months. We are going to be having tons and tons of fun!! Watch this space.

Before I go, tell me what you think of flexi schooling. Do you think it defeats the object of home educating? Someone did say that to me today, and I think they are wrong. I think that if it is not possible to homeschool full time then flex-schooling is the perfect option. At the moment full time homeschooling is just too exhausting, only because I have to get some kind of work done in order to be able to pay any kind of bills etc etc. Homeschooling full time, I find it impossible to work without feeling totally frazzled the next day. My son said he is happy with this decision and we think it is perfect for both of us. It might change in the future, but for now this is the best option. We still get to home educate, and he gets to go to a really understanding pleasant school.


No comments:

Post a Comment